Monday, April 5, 2010

Jumping to Fertilize Your Brain!

My friend Bev recently introduced me to local author John Medina's new book Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School. I'm devouring the insights in Medina's book and felt the need to enact his first principle, which is "Exercise Boosts Brain Power." As Medina whole-heartedly believes, exercise helps the brain function better by stimulating BDNF (this stands for Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor), a protein which is like a fertilizer for the brain. Imagine Miracle Grow sprinkled on your brain cells to help them grow! In Brain Rules, he writes, "All the evidence points in one direction: Physical activity is cognitive candy."

So in honor of Medina's work -- and my philosophy, "When you're stuck, move" -- here's a little video I produced (in one shot, without edits as you'll be able to tell) to show a little something I do to fertilize my brain at three o'clock in the afternoon.

Enjoy!


video

4 comments:

  1. That's fantastic Courtney! I'm inspired to get a small trampoline and MOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, this is simply the best! thanks for sharing Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, interesting work!! Courtney, you done a really great job to create it! congratzz

    ReplyDelete