Saturday, February 27, 2010

You are the Giver and the Receiver

I just purchased this card for myself at my local Whole Foods Market. I was drawn to the plum purple colors and most certainly the self-affirming message of self-trust. This card is a Papaya! production created by one of my artistic heroes Anahata Katkin.

Not only does the message of the card inspire me to write a blog post highlighting Katkin's creation, but I am struck by the fact that I often buy myself greeting cards. Does anyone else do this? It occurs to me that we needn't wait for cards to arrive in the mail or on our birthday. We can in fact make greeting card purchases a regular routine, and these small gifts should be for ourselves.

I am almost tempted to write myself a message in this card (and I just may do that). I do know that I want to frame the card and place it near my desk where I write and create art. The reminder to trust myself is essential for me in my creative process; I often need to remind myself to follow my intuition, to scope out my hunches, to listen to the colors circling in my mind, and to taste the words in my journal like ripe strawberries, appreciating each red burst.

Buying yourself a greeting card is a form of self-care. Self-care involves listening to what you need and following through with action steps. Maybe you need a massage or a walk or acupuncture or green beans. Maybe you need a hug and tea and a foot bath. On the other hand, maybe you need to give yourself a card and a bouquet of flowers to remind yourself that you are worthy, loved, and admired. Maybe you should try being both the lover and the loved, the admirer and the admired, the talker the listener, the giver and the recipient.

Try this:
Buy (or create) a card for yourself and find a use for it. Write yourself a note in it (and even mail it to yourself!), frame it and place it in a significant place, or simply hang it on your fridge. This card is for you, from you. Cherish it as you do yourself.


Note: If you are in love with the "Trust Yourself" card like I am and you can't find it in a local store, you can always buy it online at Papaya! here.

6 comments:

  1. I buy greeting cards just because I love them all the time; and then I can't seem to use them because I love them so much. I love the idea of buying one meant for me, as a gift to me... I suppose that's what I've been doing all along, but now I can do it intentionally!

    Thanks,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely realization, Megan! Yes, buy those cards intentionally and lovingly for yourself!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes ! It was a step forward in valuing myself when I realised that I could buy and send cards to MYSELF !!! Its lovely getting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely idea!
    thanks,
    Alexi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! I usually buy myself a piece of jewellery (so I don't need to wait my boyfirend...hah). I'll try with those lovely cards, keep them on my night table.

    ReplyDelete