Thursday, November 19, 2009

Healing Through Art Making

Earlier this month, I facilitated "Transforming Loss: Altering Photographs." The candle above holds the intentions of all who participated and shared their losses through talking, writing, and above all, art-making.

The whole afternoon was poignant as we worked together as a supportive group and separately in our own creative bubbles, depicting our losses and hopes and visions. There was a creative silence that could only be described as healing silence as we cut and pasted and glittered our way to understanding our losses.

It was humbling to notice the physical changes in the participants--stiff, nervous bodies turned to relaxed postures and tight apprehensive faces turned to calm soft faces--and to hear the insights and revelations that the art pieces revealed to each person. And I was moved so deeply.

Here are my two pieces from the workshop (lucky me -- I got to participate, too!):


A tribute to my dad.


A self-portrait piece as I learn to feel strong again after loss.


I am offering this workshop again due to additional interest. It's on Saturday, November 28, 1-4pm. Email me if you'd like to join in: cputnam@rising-bird.com.

And the loss issues you bring to the workshop can be any type of loss -- not just loss due to the death of a loved one. In the last workshop, there were many different manifestations of loss shared and explored, including loss of relationships, loss of identity, loss of innocence, etc.

If you are a Facebook user, you can become a "fan" of Rising Bird Healing Arts, and once on my page you can view some of the other art pieces from the participants! And here's a link to some photographs from the last workshop (also on Facebook).

No comments:

Post a Comment