Monday, May 4, 2009

You Know (Really, you do!)

I found the perfect phrase the other day and it is written on the lovely magnet above. This magnet is a PaPaYa! creation by the inspiring artist Anahata Katkin.

What I mean by "perfect" is that this phrase illuminates something very dear to my heart, which is my belief that you know yourself the best.

As a healing professional, I find that sometimes people want me to tell them who they are, what they feel, and who they should become. (I've wanted this with healers I have seen, too! It feels so much easier than sludging through my own muck to discover these things myself!) The truth is, I don't know the answers. And the reason I don't know is that you know yourself better than I do (or anyone else for that matter). It's true!

I do have intuitive gifts, empathic intuition being one of them, and I do sense energy and images and ideas do pop into my head when I am with clients. Sometimes I share these things and other times I keep them to myself. But what I don't do is tell clients who they are. They already know that. And if they are struggling with their identity, I help them on their path to discovery.

I see myself as a gatekeeper for others' personal growth. A guide. A facilitator. A barometer. A mirror. An echo. A safety net.

One idea that has come to me so strongly over the last few weeks is that I know myself the best because I have lived my life and each encounter, event, feeling is recorded in my cells. It may be difficult to access these things, but they do live in my body. I have everything I need in my very own body and mind! I may need some guidance in my process of understanding what I feel, but I am complete just as I am.

When I realized this about myself the other day, it felt like a revelation. Ah-ha! Holy moly: I have everything I need to know! I felt like I wanted to dance naked in the streets! Or flirt with sunflowers!

It is my belief that "you always know," just as the magnet says. Now, you may not know you know, but you do indeed know (is that too confusing?).

Let me put it another way: your body is the encyclopedia to you. It is also the instruction manual, the tarot card deck, the dictionary, the wikipedia entry, and the recipe. What happens when you open to the instruction manual chapter on "how to be myself"? What does your body have to tell you?


6 comments:

  1. This is great! And true--change or awareness or whatever-we-call-it happens when the person shifts and sees it herself. Inside job. Yay to the fascilitators and guides like you, C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Thank you for sharing the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah!!! WE KNOW! Nice to have reminder of that though -- and nice to have guides like you, Courtney!
    xo
    k-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your enthusiasm here, everyone!

    Yes we KNOW and isn't it a trip to figure it all out! Ha!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thich Nhat Hanh's version is "Be still and know," which I also love. Often gotta have that still part first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela,

    Thank you for bring in Thich Nhat Hahn's words. Yes, be still. Without stillness we cannot listen to ourselves.

    Lovely.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete