Friday, December 26, 2008

Clarity and 2009

Clarity, mixed media collage, 4" x 6" by Courtney Putnam

Oh my, has it been almost two weeks since my last post? Good thing I'm sitting here thinking about what I'd like to experience, accomplish, and feel in 2009. I'll add "blogging more frequently" to the list!

I don't know about you, but each December I end up sort of slip-sliding through the new year without doing a big, fat reflection. And then in January, I intend on spending some quiet time reflecting and dreaming -- and that usually slips by, too. I have good intentions, but rarely do I get some clear meditation and dream time in.

I am hoping to change that this year. I am hoping to get a firm, grounded grip on the earth (even though it is a bit slippery--literally--in Seattle right now) and grow some lovely dreamy roots. I thought I would start with this very post. Dream and reflection time begins now.

First intention for 2009: Self Care.

Those of you in helping professions know how crucial it is to take care of yourself as you are caring for others. In 2008 I found it immensely rejuvenating to visit Olympus Spa in Lynnwood, WA for hours of warmth and healing. Olympus Spa is a woman-only spa and it costs $35 to spend the whole day in the lovely facility. You can soak in whirlpools, sit in the sauna or steam room, and feel the healing effects of the heated earth rooms. There's even a Korean cafe and juice bar, a beautiful lounge and reading room, and some refreshing "cool down" rooms. My goal for 2009 is to visit Olympus Spa on a more regular basis, perhaps once a month.

Is "self care" one of your intentions for 2009? If so, what might you do for yourself? Try to be as specific as you can with your intention because vagueness can easily turn into slushy mush and then get lost. What part of you needs some attention? And how can you respond to your mind/body/spirit in a way that will inspire, relax, and recharge you?

No comments:

Post a Comment